Dr. Priya Gupta has received her Ph. D. in Sociology (2013) from the Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore, and University of Mysore. She has received ICSSR Fellowship for pursuing her Ph. D. research. She is qualified in University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test for Lectureship. She has attended several workshops and conferences including the prestigious International Sociological Association (ISA) XVll World Congress of Sociology (July 11-17, 2010) in Gothenburg, Sweden where she presented her paper entitled, ‘Disasters and vulnerability, survival and resilience of two village communities in coastal Orissa, India’. She has also presented research papers in many other national and international seminars and conferences.
Interest Areas of Research and Teaching
Disaster Management, Sociology of Communities, Sociology of Environment, Organisational Studies and Organisational Behaviour and Human Resource Management, Leadership, Industrial Relation and Labour laws, and Labour research.
- “Understanding The Role of Traditional Panchayats in Village Society and in Disaster Mitigation: Observations from Coastal Odisha, India“, Working paper no. 138, Amrita School of Business, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham working paper series, January 2013.
- Priya Gupta, Alamelupriya. R and Angan Sengupta, “Managing Attrition in Retail: A Study of Firm in Bangalore“, in Review of HRM, Vol. 2(1):247-262, 2013
- My interview on “Methods in disaster research” is published in Psybernews: International Psychology Research Publication, Vol 4(1), 2013.
- Priya Gupta and Anand Inbanathan, “Facing disasters in two villages of coastal Orissa, India: A comparison of coping resilience and survival”, HazNet Newsletter, Canadian Risk and Hazard Network, 2(1) : 35-37, 2010.
- “Survival and Resilience of Two Village Communities in Coastal Orissa: a Comparative Study of Coping with Disasters”,Working paper 255, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore, 2010.
- “Ethnicity, Caste and Community in a Disaster Prone Area of Orissa”,Working Paper 231. Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore, 2009.
- Book Review: Interrogating Social Capital: The Indian Experience. D Bhattacharya, (eds.) Nirja G Jayal, B N Mohapatra and Sudha Pai, reviewed in Journal of Social and Economic Development, 10(2), 2007.