Dr. A. V. Shyam currently serves as Chairman and Associate Professor at School of Business, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore Campus.
Currently, he is the Chairman of the Information Systems and Analytics area at ASB Coimbatore. He is also a member of the Post Graduate Programme Committee, Research and Publications Committee, Student Professional Development Committee and the Summer Internships Committee. He is also a member of the Board of Studies for MBA and MTech (Innovative Engineering and Entrepreneurship) at Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.
- 2018: Ph. D.
Fellow of IIM Kozhikode, 2018
- 1999: PGDM
Amrita Institute of Management
- 1996: BTech (Hons) in Mechanical Engineering
University of Calicut
|2018-Present||Assistant Professor (SG), Amrita School of Business, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham|
|2016-2018||Assistant Professor (Sr Gr.), Amrita School of Business, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham|
|2015-2016||Assistant Professor, Amrita School of Business, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham|
|2012-2014||Visiting faculty, School of Management Studies, National Institute of Technology, Calicut|
|2004-2007||Faculty Associate, Amrita School of Business, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham|
|2000-2003||Research Associate, Amrita School of Business, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham|
- Best Paper Award at International Conference on Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing, Singapore, 2010
- Deepak, S. K., & Shyam A.V. (Working Paper) “Influence of Waiting Area Designs on the Perceived Mood Restoration Potentials in Hospitals”, targeted journal –International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Marketing.
- Deepak, S. K., Navami, R., Shyam, A. V., & Gopakumar, G. K. 2017. Modelling Visual Aesthetics of matmospherics : An Environmental Psychology Perspective. Presented at the Summer AMA Conference, August 4- 6, San Francisco, USA.
- Shyam, A. V. & Swain, A. K. 2015. Dynamic portfolio design: A cognitive business intelligence approach. Presented at the 15th Finance, Risk and Accounting Perspectives Conference,), October 19-21, Steyr, Austria.
- Shyam, A. V. & Swain, A. K. 2015. A Cognitive Business Intelligence System for Surgery Scheduling. Presented at the International Conference on Business & Economic Development (ICBED), March 30-31, New York, USA.
- Shyam, A. V. & Swain, A. K. 2015. An Investment Strategy to Beat the Nifty Index Returns: A Cognitive BI Approach. Presented at the Twelfth AIMS International Conference on Management, January 2-4, IIM Kozhikode.
- Shyam, A. V. & Swain, A. K. 2013. A cognitive business intelligence system for Dynamic Portfolio Design. In the proceedings of the International Conference on Advanced Data Analysis, Business Analytics and Business Intelligence, April 13-14, IIM Ahmedabad.
- Shyam, A. V. 2013. Conceptualizing a novel business intelligence system for business excellence. In the proceedings of the International Conference on Innovative Practices for Business Excellence, January 14, Rajagiri Centre for Business Studies, Kochi, India.
- Swain, A. K., & Shyam, A. V. 2012. A Cognitive Business Intelligence System for Scheduling. In the proceedings of the International Conference on Emerging Markets and the New Dynamics of Management, May 17-18, London, United Kingdom.
- Swain, A. K., & Shyam, A. V. 2010. Conceptualizing a True Business Intelligence System. In the Proceedings of the International Conference on Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing, July 12-13, Singapore. (Winner of the best paper award)
- Shyam, A. V., & Soman, K. P. 2003. Spreadsheet Implementation of a fast algorithm for computing corporate default probabilities. In the proceedings of the International Conference on Statistics and Business, January 2-4, Cochin University of Science and Technology.
- Shyam, A. V., & Soman, K. P. 2003. Use of Support Vector Machines to enhance the effectiveness of Direct Marketing. In the proceedings of the International Conference on Statistics and Business, January 2- 4, Cochin University of Science and Technology.
- Has been a resource person handling sessions in the Women Entrepreneurship Development Programme, and the Technology based Entrepreneurship Development Programmes organised by the Technology Business Incubator at NIT Calicut.
- Conducted a one-day workshop on “Using spreadsheets to improve professional effectiveness” for the faculty members and administrative staff of the Sullamussalam Science College, Areekode, Malappuram on 16th February, 2013.
- Delivered an invited lecture to all the staff members of the Karassery Service Co-operative bank Ltd. on 1st April, 2013.
- Handled all the sessions on the last day of the National Workshop on Multivariate Analysis using SPSS and spreadsheets held at NIT Calicut, under the financial assistance of Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme – II (30th Jan – 1st Feb, 2014). The topic was “Data Analysis using MS Excel”.
- Handled 4 sessions on the topic “Data Analysis using MS Excel”, in the AICTE sponsored Faculty Development Programme on Research Methods and Data Analysis with SPSS and MS Excel (2nd June – 7th June, 2014) at NIT Calicut.
Teaching Experience (PhD)
- Research Methodology in Management
- Teaching Experience (MBA)
- Advanced Tools for Decision Support
- Advanced tools for Decision Support Systems
- Business Analytics
- Business Intelligence Data Analytics 1
- Decision Analysis and Decision Support Systems
- Decision Support Systems
- Expert Systems in Business
- Financial Modeling
- Fundamentals of IT and Java Programming
- Fundamentals of IT and VBA Programming
- Information Technology Lab
- Introduction to Business Analytics
- Management Information Systems
- Mathematics for Managers (in Orientation programme)
- Operations Management
- Operations Research
- Quantitative Methods in Management-1
- Quantitative Methods in Management-2
- Relational Database Management Systems
- Spreadsheet Modelling (in Orientation programme)
- Served as an Editorial committee member of IIMK Newsletter – IIMK News
- Served as the Co-ordinator of Samaksh, a forum for exchange of ideas at IIMK
- Served as a member of the organising committee of the International conference on Information Technology, Systems and Management, December 21-22, 2011 at IIM Kozhikode.
- Served as a session facilitator and was involved in the organising of the Conference on Global Strategies for an Emergent India, December 27-28, 2012 at IIM Kozhikode.
- Served as a Member of the organising committee of the Marketing Roundtable Conference at Amrita School of Business on 19th January, 2015.
- Member of the PhD committee
- Member of Faculty committee for Faculty of Management (a University level committee)
- Member of the School Level PGP Committee (across 4 campuses)
- Member of the Board of Studies of the Amrita School of Business
- Member of the Board of Studies of MTech (Innovative Engineering and Entrepreneurship), Amrita School of Engineering
- Member of Research and Publications Committee Member of Student Professional Development Committee
- Member of Summer Internships Committee
- Member of committees working towards achieving AACSB accreditation for the Amrita School of Business Criteria Lead for NAAC accreditation
- Functioned as the Chairman of the Post Graduate Programme and Assistant Controller of Examinations (2007, 2015-2017)
- Co-ordinated and attended three training programmes for faculty members by IBM – Predictive Analytics (24th to 26th July, 2015), Descriptive Analytics using Cognos (29th October to 1st November, 2015), Big Data Analytics using IBM Infosphere BigInsights (28th to 31st Jan 2016).
- Handled a course for MBA students on Predictive Analytics using SPSS leading to an IBM certification (as part of the Amrita – IBM academic partnership programme).
- Guided MBA students for Summer Internships and Business Research Projects.
- Co-ordinated workshops for students on ‘Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace’ by an international expert in November 2015 and January 2017.