A. Shanmugasundaram received his M. E. (Product Design and Development-PDD) from Anna University of Technology and B. E. (Mechanical Engineering) from Coimbatore Institute of Technology (CIT) under Anna University, Chennai. He is currently pursuing his Doctorate in Mechanical Engineering from Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore.
He served in the industry for 10 years in Bimetal Bearings Limited, Coimbatore and 2 years in Larsen and Toubro Limited (L&T – PDC), Coimbatore. He is in the academic field for the past 18 years in various educational institutions including P. S. G. College of Technology, Coimbatore in various positions and he joined in Amrita on 16-12-2011 and currently working as an Assistant Professor (Sr. Gr.) in Mechanical Engineering Department.
He is the author and co-author of several papers published in International Journals and also presented papers in a national/international conferences. He also attended many workshops, conferences and dedicated training programmes during his carrier.
He also delivered a guest lecture on “Automotive Valve Timing Systems” at L.G.B. Ganapathy, Coimbatore during August 2011. He is a Life member of Indian Society for Technical Education (LM 76090).
The key fields of research areas are Surface modification of aluminium and other alloys, Material characterization, Surface composites, Analysis of mechanical and wear behavior of metals subjected to reinforcements and Metal matrix composites.
Engineering Drawing, Computer Aided Drafting, Machine Drawing, Advanced Welding Technology, Advanced Casting Technology, Metrology and Measurements, Advances in Manufacturing Technology and Metrology, Surface Engineering, Selection of Materials and Processes, Composite Materials and Processing, Metrology and Computer Aided Inspection, Manufacturing Technology – I and II and its associated Laboratories, Basic Workshop, Fluid Power Laboratory, Applied Hydraulics and Pneumatics, Product Design and Development, Operation Research.
Seminars / Short Term Courses / Summer Schools / Winter Schools Attended
- Faculty Development Programme on “Hydraulic & Pneumatic Systems”, organized by Anna University of Technology, Center for Faculty Development, Coimbatore, 20.06-2011 to 26-06-2011.
- Workshop on “Creative Theory of Universitarian Teaching”: organized by United Institute of Technology, Coimbatore, 01.06.2011 to 03.06.2011.
- One day workshop on “3D Modeling & Design Validation using Solidworks”, organized by Aditya Institute of Technology, Coimbatore on 19-02-2010.
- A workshop on “High Impact Teaching skills – Mission 10 X – WIPRO”, organized by SNS College of Technology, Coimbatore from 21.09.2009 to 25.09.2009.
- Four day Training programme on “Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing”, organized by PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore from 26.03.208 to 29-03-2008.
- National level workshop on “Sensors, Control Technologies for Robotics and Automation”, organized by Kumaraguru College of Technology, Coimbatore on 17-02-2007.
- National conference on “Low Cost Automation – Current Trends”, organized by PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore on 25.10.2006.
- A two day workshop on “Low Cost Automation”, organized by Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), Vellore from 29-11-2005 to 30-11-2005.
- One day seminar on “Learn with LabVIEW”, organized by PSG-NI Virtual Instrumentation Center, PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore on 03.02.2005.
- Two day training programme on “Modeling and Assembly using I-DEAS and Unigraphics software”, organized by PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore from 15.02.2005 to 16.02.2005.
- Five day Intensive training programme on “LabVIEW basics”, organized by PSG-NI Virtual Instrumentation Center, PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore from 27-01-2004 to 31-01-2004.
- Continuing education programme on “Computer Aided Drafting (Level – III, AUTOCAD), conducted by CAD/CAM Center, PSG Center for Non-Formal and Continuing Education, Coimbatore from 25.03.1996 to 03.06.1996.
Projects Guided / Ongoing
- “Design and development of a strain gauge based low cost cutting force Dynamometer” PG Project, M.Tech. (E.D), 2012 – 2013.
- “Surface alloying of aluminium alloy (LM 4) with iron powder using TIG welding” UG Project, B.Tech. (Mech.), 2013 – 2014.
- “Effects of adding Titanium Carbide (TiC) on the Microstructure and Hardness of AA 7075 by surface melting using GTA as a heat source, B.Tech. (Mech.) 2015 -2016.
- “Effect of Hardness and wear on AA 2014 after applying heat and diffusing Titanium Boride (TiB2) using GTA as a heat source, M.Tech. (Mfg.), 2015 – 2016.
- “Experimental investigation of adding Boron Carbide (B4C) over the surface of AA 5086 using GTA as a heat source and its influence on its hardness and microstructure”, M.Tech. (Mfg.), 2015 –2016.
- “Influence of surface reinforcement of TiC on the hardness and wear behaviour of LM-21 using GTA as Heat Source”, M.Tech. (Mfg.), 2016 – 2017.
- “Effect of reinforcement of Mo on the hardness and wear behaviour of AISI 630 Steel using GTA as Heat Source”, M.Tech. (Mfg.), 2016 – 2017.
- “Experimental Investigation of Mechanical and Tribological properties of Al 7075-MoS2/ZrO2/Ni Hybrid Composite.